The MG7-A featured sophisticated guidance systems allowing the torpedo to track and home in on targets. The MG7-A was said to have a margin of error of less than three meters under even the heaviest of jamming, though it was not unusual for high-powered starfighters to outmaneuver these warheads.
During the Battle of Yavin. Red Leader fired two MG7-A proton torpedoes at the the thermal exhaust port on the Death Star, only for them to impact on the trench surface. Luke Skywalker then fired a pair directly into the exhaust port, resulting in the destruction of the battle station.
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.
Fired in pairs toward the Death Star exhaust port by both Red Leader and Luke Skywalker. (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.
Wedge Antilles fires a pair at the power regulator for the second Death Star's main reactor, just before Lando Calrissian fires a volley of ST-2 Concussion Missiles at the reactor itself.
- The Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- Star Wars Database - Proton torpedo
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- Fact File 126 PRO1-2, Proton Torpedoes
- Fact File 129 PRO3-4, Proton Torpedoes
- Star Wars Blueprints: Rebel Edition